Thomas Rhett‘s 6th studio album, Where We Started, is out now!
Talking about his new album, Thomas says, “I feel like this record has a song, literally, for everybody on there. All types of different emotions and very versatile – not only from a lyric standpoint but from a melody standpoint. It’s one of my favorite records I’ve gotten to be a part of. I don’t know, I think a lot of people have heard this some of these songs – me playing teasers on social media. And so, I’m excited for people to see the track listing and be like, ‘Oh, I remember when he played that acoustic. I wonder what it’s gonna sound like on the record.’ This record is so special in a lot of different ways from the lyrics for the melody to the collaborations that are on here. It’s just gonna be really fun.”
When it comes to the music on Where We Started Thomas Rhett shares, “I think lyrically this record is extremely well written. Maybe I’m biased, but I do feel like we really dug in on the deeper tracks and we wrote from a place of severe honesty. Songs like ‘The Hill,’ ‘Angel,’ ‘Your Mama‘s Front Door,’ these are songs that I felt like were the songs I was writing at the beginning of my career, and now have turned into something that I feel like I can put my stamp on it and be like, we really did a great job writin’ those songs.”
Thomas continues, “I think from a sonic standpoint this record is extremely versatile, and I feel like if you enjoyed my Center Point Road album, I think you’re gonna really enjoy this record as well. A lot of just, great songs that remind you of your past and also a lot of songs that make you wanna party. And those two coming back to back to back to back, to me, make for a really unique listening experience. And so I think when you listen to this record down, I don’t think you’re gonna get bored, and that’s always my biggest goal is to make sure my kids don’t get bored with my records because that’s very easy for a five-year-old to do.”
Where We Started track list;
1. ”The Hill” | Lori McKenna, Jordan Reynolds, Emily Weisband
2. ”Church Boots” | Thomas Rhett, Jesse Frasure, Ashley Gorley, Ernest Keith Smith
3. ”Bass Pro Hat” | Thomas Rhett, Matt Dragstrem, Joshua Miller, Josh Thompson
4. ”Anything Cold” | Thomas Rhett, Jesse Frasure, Ashley Gorley, Shane McAnally
5. “Angels” | Thomas Rhett, Julian Bunetta, Jaten Dimsdale, Josh Thompson
6. ”Half Of Me” (featuring Riley Green) | Thomas Rhett, Rhett Akins, Will Bundy, Josh Thompson
7. ”Bring The Bar” | Thomas Rhett, Rhett Akins, Jesse Frasure, Ashley Gorley, Parker Welling
8. ”Paradise” | Thomas Rhett, Matt Dragstrem, Ernest Keith Smith, Josh Thompson
9. “Death Row” (featuring Tyler Hubbard, Russell Dickerson) | Thomas Rhett, Zach Crowell, Ashley Gorley
10. ”Mama’s Front Door” | Thomas Rhett, Matt Dragstrem, Ashley Gorley, Chase McGill
11. ”Slow Down Summer” | Thomas Rhett, Rhett Akins, Sean Douglas, Jesse Frasure, Ashley Gorley
12. ”Simple As A Song” | Thomas Rhett, Luke Laird, Josh Thompson
13. ”Us Someday” | Thomas Rhett, Rhett Akins, Jesse Frasure, Amy Wadge
14. ”Somebody Like Me” | Thomas Rhett, Rhett Akins, Matt Dragstrem, Josh Thompson
15. ”Where We Started (with Katy Perry) | Thomas Rhett, Jon Bellion, Jesse Frasure, Ashley Gorley
Thomas Rhett co-wrote 14 of the 15 tracks…including once again having several songs co-written by one of his musical heroes – who also happens to be his dad – Rhett Akins.
Where We Started also features a couple of guest vocalists…Riley Green joins Thomas on “Half Of Me.”
Russell Dickerson and Florida Georgia Line‘s Tyler Hubbard not only sing on the song “Death Row” – but they were there on the trip to a prison that inspired the track.
and probably one of the most unexpected pairings on Thomas Rhett’s new album is Katy Perry on the title track.
Thomas shares the story behind Katy being a part of the song “Where We Started,” “We finished that song in studio and got it mixed, and there was someone at our label who has been with me since really day one and she called me and said, ‘I was thinking that this song could use a feature,’ and I asked her who she was thinking about and she said, ‘Well, I really want to send it to Katy Perry’s camp.’ And that really caught me off guard and like really came out of left field…and I was like it doesn’t really fit with the other collaborators on this album and also she probably has no idea who I am, and she probably is not going to respond to the email – but you definitely should try. So, she sent it to her and Katy literally responded the next day she’s talking to my how much she resonated with the song and it wasn’t 24 hours later that me and Katy were Facetiming, and she was asking like what parts should she sing…should she take a chorus. She said ‘I love the song. I feel it’ and it took her about a week to get the vocal back to me. When I heard it, it just felt like it was supposed to be that way the entire time. I’m excited. I think it’s kind of a little bit of a left field play but I think that when people hear this, they’re really going to enjoy it.”
Thomas Rhett’s new album Where We Started is available now, and it includes “Slow Down Summer” – Thomas’ current single at country radio.
Photo Courtesy of Thomas Rhett